With the exception of a few days a year, open burning is not allowed within city limits. Visit the City’s website at https://tiffin-iowa.org for additional information.
The Tiffin Fire Department visits Tiffin preschools during Fire Prevention Week. During this visit, children learn:
- What to do in case of a fire
- How to safely exit a burning building
- About fire safety
- To stop, drop and roll
Fire Station Tours
Group station tours are available by request by calling (319) 545-2102.
In preparation for your scheduled visit, please:
- Discuss the importance of listening to instructions from the Tiffin Fire Department staff
- Ensure that you have adequate supervision for the group
- Discuss that firefighters may need to leave during a tour if there is an emergency
Storm Warning Sirens
Per Johnson County Emergency Management’s guidelines, storm warning sirens are sounded for:
- Tornado warnings
- Severe thunderstorm warnings with wind speeds in excess of 70 miles per hour
- Hail in excess of 1.75 inches (golf ball size or larger)
- Note that an “all-clear” siren is not sounded.
When a siren sounds:
- Seek immediate shelter indoors, preferably in a basement, and away from windows
Siren testing is conducted on the first Wednesday of the month at 10:00 am.